Sunday, May 11, 2008

Movement





















18" x 24"
Painting is one reason I do not want to make more than one Dear Jane quilt. This painting made with watercolor and textile paints, and my own stencils, was created too many years ago -- probably in 1998 or 1999. I said I did not want to wait for retirement or something catastrophic (as some people do) to begin doing interesting and creative things. In art school, I pursued weaving and silk screening more than anything else. I never actually took painting classes. So, some time in the late 1990's I took painting classes at an art school 30-40 minutes from home -- for two or three summers.

In the spring of 2000, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I really wanted to keep painting but the drive to the school and the thought of schlepping all the equipment in and out of my third-floor apartment and the studio while still working full time was just too much. I looked for a class in my town but found nothing that allowed me the freedom I was seeking. I tried a watercolor class but it was all about painting realistic flowers. That goal was not mine and the process was frustrating. I never "got it" but, to be fair, the goal of the class did not really jive with what I was seeking.

Today, I peaked into a large portfolio leaning against a wall wondering, "Is there anything left in here to post on my blog?" Sure enough! After so many years, I'm looking at this piece with fresh eyes. I do look at the paintings in my portfolios from time to time but a photograph is so much different.

I cropped a bit off the top of this one because, the top right corner was torn (see small image). I like the colors better in the photograph than in person even though I feel the colors in the photograph are pretty "true."
The difference is that I mixed the yellow using at least one textile paint that had metallics in it. That mix was used for the large yellow objects and the "woven" texture in the background. I think that yellow worked better in the background which used varying amounts of the metallic paint. As often happens with my paintings, I like the background the best. Sometimes I think I should be designing wallpaper instead of painting! Saving the photo to my hard drive today, required naming this piece -- yet another step in the creative process.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails