Friday, June 12, 2009

Wagon Wheel

109 blocks
I just finished this Dear Jane block, E11 - Wagon Wheel. It's took two evenings to redraft part of the block, cut the fabric, and handpiece the 17 pieces. I really need to find someone who can teach me reverse applique in person; online tutorials are not working for me. I am wondering if reverse applique would have worked on this block since I'm using two different green fabrics.

Redraft
I redrafted the block to make it look more like Jane's by making the curved corner pieces larger and replicating the curves on the inside edge of the melons. The outer curve of each melon is "flatter" because it comprises the edge of a larger circle. [Are all quilters geometry geeks, or is it just me?] I cut the striped fabric as four separate pieces so that it would make chevrons to echo the lines inside the circles and to more closely match Jane's construction. Brenda's draft indicates that section is one piece.

Fabrics and Cuts
The fabric in the center was also used for the "buttons" on B1 - Bachelor Buttons. That fabric has many colors that I'm not using in my Dear Jane quilt, so I had to cut carefully. I now regret placing the white flowers along the edge of the central "star"; the lack of contrast makes it hard to easily "read" the shape of the star. I like it when the geometry of a block is easy to read. I considered putting a "button" in each of the corners but since the radii of the circles in the fabric are smaller than the radii of the corner arcs, I dropped the idea. The striped fabric was also used in B6 - Wild Goose Chase.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails