Sunday, July 5, 2009

Passing Through

112 blocks; 66% done (not counting blocks I want to re-do)

Two Dear Jane blocks in two days! Woohoo! This one, K5 - Passing Through, came together pretty quickly; it only has 14 pieces. Now that it's done, I'm not sure what is "passing through." On Jane's block, it's clearly the diamonds, but with this fabric choice, it could be the diamonds, or it could be the flowers.

Drafting and Fabrics
I redrafted this block to more closely match Jane's construction by changing how the diamonds are set into the ivory fabric. The fabric for the diamonds is a Kaffe Fassett ikat. Ikat is an amazing fabric. The pattern is printed onto the yarns before they are woven!

I don't know who designed the fabric with the flowers. If you do, please drop me a comment. It is so beautiful. It's really designed for a much larger application. After cutting out the flowers, I'm left with a large field of lime green fabric -- with delicate ivory tracings running through it (click on photo if you cannot see the ivory lines). Oh well. It's still yummy stuff.

Next?I'm in the midst of working on the largest ring of this Trip Round the World color arrangement. That means I'm working in green, green, and green. I may take a break and work on another color by making one of the blocks that I plan to replace. When I started the blocks, I had no intention of making a Dear Jane quilt, so I did not bother with planning out colors and careful fabric selections. On the other hand, I have some rather challenging blocks ahead of me in this green ring; they have lots of tiny pieces. It might be nice to get them out of the way.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails