Friday, January 8, 2010

Abstract Painting - Kline

Franz Kline was the focus of our work in the sixth week of the abstract painting class. Here's a link to some of his work. In November, I went to MOMA and viewed Painting Number 2. It had a lot more drips and layering than show up in photographs.

My goal for this painting was to capture the style rather than the exact image. It was one of those magic moments when the whole thing comes together quickly and with little effort. I liked it enough to put it into the student show, but wish I had signed it on the back rather than the front. This piece is considerably smaller than Kline's paintings. I like working large but I hate trying to find a place to storage all the paintings.

This came together so easily that I thought I could easily produce a series of them. A few weeks later, I tried with no success. I will post my attempt once I get it back from the art school studio.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails