Thursday, June 24, 2010

Big Top

Redraft
I did a minor redraft on my newest Dear Jane block, F1 - Big Top. The diamonds in the corners are pieced rather than appliqued; it's the best way to get crisp corners. To better see the extra seam I drew into the draft, click on the second photo and it will enlarge; look for the lime green arrow. On this type of seam, it's a good idea to not run the seam directly into the corner; it helps minimize bulk at the corners. Furthermore, if your block gets wonky, a corner seam will make that more obvious. You can see that in spite of my great plan, one of the seams is very close to the corner. This may just be a quirk of the photo.

Diamonds or Kites?
Jane's diamonds are shaped more like kites but I chose to let that go.

Fabric
Here's my thinking: big top, circus, fun, play, blowing bubbles. I know, it's a bit of a stretch but I'm sticking with it! The diamonds are actually fussy cuts but you may need to enlarge the first photo (by clicking on it) in order to see the bubbles printed on the fabric.

Don't You Just Love It?
Don't you just love it when you know you should not do something and you do it anyway? I knew that tearing fabric instead of cutting it stretches it out of shape. I did it anyway. I knew that cutting patches too close to those warped threads would put a ruffle in my block. I did it anyway. (You can see a bit of the ruffle in the ivory fabric near the edges of the block.) What was I thinking?

Dear Jane Progress = 130 Blocks
As of June 21, 3010, Row F is complete. Only 39 blocks to go.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails