Thursday, June 3, 2010

Jacob Anthony

Major Redraft
A few weeks ago, I realized that when I completed this Dear Jane block, H2 - Jacob Anthony, the biggest trip-round-the-world ring would be done. Why did I wait 'til now to hand piece it? I had to redraft the block.

Why? First, let me say, I'm a geometry geek. Now, click on this picture and look closely to see why I redrafted this block: all the triangles should be the same size; they should all be equilateral triangles (the angles in their corners should all be 60 degrees); and they should all line up. Notice that some of the lines are down right crooked.




You can see my final draft best in this third photo. Click on the image to enlarge it. You will see that I used several sheets of paper and pasted them together. It was the easiest way to get all the angles and measurements on the triangles uniform. Even the two applique triangles match the others....
.
New Applique Method  (New to Me)
A few weeks ago, I completed the redraft (see third photo) but then got sidetracked with other projects. Finally, this weekend, I put this block together. I even tried a new method for the two appliqued triangles after watching this video. The method is new to me; I'm sure most of you use this method already. I was pleased with how easily it all went together.

Dear Jane Progress = 123 blocks and the largest TRTW diamond is done
At last, the green TRTW diamond -- the largest one -- is complete!


2 comments:

Ann Champion said...

I don't think I'd attempt the Dear Jane without the CD of drafted patterns? You did a wonderful job on the block! Doesn't it feel nice to have that green color ring done? Your quilt is looking better and better. :)

Minka said...

Hi Ann,
Sorry I missed your comment. Thanks for your kind remarks! It was great completing this green block because this was the largest trip round the world, as I recall. It was a major milestone. Thanks for all yor support throughout this project.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails