Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Streak of Lightening

It took a while to redraft this block, cut out the fussy cuts, and hand stitch it, but C2 - Streak of Lightening, my newest Dear Jane Block, is finally done. It took another two days to get enough sunlight to photograph it (and my previous block).

3,000+ Pieces
I track my statistics on an Excel spreadsheet. With this block, I have pieced more than 3,000 pieces. Way more, since I am not counting the pieces in the blocks I've replaced.


Redraft
I redrafted this block because (a) some of the lines on Brenda's draft are not straight (click on the second photo and look at the lime green lines), and (b) I wanted to piece-in the two large diamonds rather than applique them.  It's the best way to get sharp corners and get everything lined up.

Fabric and Fussy Cuts
This fabric was used previously for one of my earliest Dear Jane blocks, J10 - Chieko's Calla Lily. The fussy cuts for my new blocks were tricky.

Most of the fabrics for this quilt are pastels, which has made it easy to see the print from the wrong side of the fabric but this green is much darker. Here's how I dealt with that problem. From the front, I used my English paper piecing clips to position the plastic template and hold it in place while I finger-pressed the edges. Then I unclipped it and drew in my seam lines on the back. Finally I cut out the pieces leaving at least ¼ inch for the seam allowance.

Dear Jane Progress = 148 Blocks; 3,004 pieces
As of October 5, 2010, I have 21 blocks to go.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails