Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dogwood Days

My first completed Dear Jane block in five months! My first completed block for this calendar year! It's M1 - Dogwood Days, one of the blocks I wrote about yesterday and said I'd be making from the theme fabric -- which this is not! Since that fabric is so precious and the 29 pieces for this block are so small, it seemed a waste of precious fabric. I could have made the block and had nothing to show for it since the scale of that print is large for this block. I've decided to instead use the theme fabric for L1 which is almost in the corner and has some large pieces in it.

Dogwood
Looking at the images here, it's obvious what inspired the name of this block. Dogwood Days festivals are held in many parts of the country to celebrate the blooming of dogwood trees. In Atlanta, it's held in early April, so I guess I'm late on that count, too. LOL!

Redraft and Construction
I redrafted the triangles and surrounding pieces to more closely match Jane's block. (Brenda's triangles were too small.) This fabric was also used for G5 -Poof, which has never before appeared in one of my blog posts. Imagine that! It was one of my earliest blocks and done entirely in applique as that was my skill set at the time. Click on the photo to enlarge it, if you wish. The pink is a bit on the blue side but it will be OK. Construction for this new block was straight forward; things got a bit wonky around the edges but this is a keeper. I want to finish!

Dear Jane Progress = 157 blocks; 3,329 pieces
As of April 24, 2011, I have replaced 14 blocks. This is my first corner block.

PS
I spruced up my blog today, hoping to make it look a little fresher but still recognizable. Made the background color a shade lighter and put in a dark bar to make my pages more evident, and tidied-up the pages (took out excessive wording and bullets).

5 comments:

Sheila said...

good to see you back at it

MEG BAIER said...

minka, i'm impressed! i love this pink, i love this fabric, i love the perfection on your work and good taste on choosing the colors...do you handpiece all your blocks? and i wish i were closer so maybe i could learn from you!
cheers!!

Minka said...

Thank you, Shiela and Meg, for your kind words and for hanging in with me!

Karen said...

Five months away from Jane, I would find it hard to get back. Such a wonderful block and fabric.

Minka said...

Thanks, Karen. It's kind of like riding a bike: you don't forget how to do it...mostly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails