Sunday, June 12, 2011

Shoot the Blocks (Photographing Quilt Blocks).2

Click to see quilt block with (L) and without (R) shadow from window screen.
I wrote extensively on quilt block photography here.  I have since purchased a scanner that produces great photos without all the fuss, but if you are taking shots using available light, try the link above for a detailed description of my method for shooting blocks. Even with a scanner, I still use some of the techniques such as the freezer paper backing.

This pair of photos (above) demonstrates what happens if you photograph your blocks using available light that happens to be coming through a window screen. You may need to enlarge this photo (click it) to see the moiré patterns on the photo on the left. The second shot shows the shadow from the screen onto white paper.

My solution was to photograph the blocks along the track of my slider so that I can open the slider when I'm ready to shoot. Of course, this is not a great option when it's 15 degrees below zero outside! Now you know one reason I'm in love with my new scanner!

Here's my final photo of this block, L10 - Nan's Naiad. You can read about it here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails