Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Neglected Jane

"Stalled out" Dear Jane resting on my sewing machine
My Dear Jane Quilt patiently waits for me to get back in the mood. Today, I got an email from a quilting friend who keeps egging me on. (You know who you are and I thank you for every ounce of encouragement! I need it!). She sent me this link to a collection of 30 photos of Baby Jane quilts made by quiltmakers who belong to a Dear Jane group that's organized by City Quilter in NYC.

J2 - Picture Perfect -- 2nd edition
Noticing which ones I liked the best gave me new ideas about the eventual border on my DJQ, if I ever get that far. (Not feeling very optimistic today.) Two of them have neither triangles nor kites. All three have border treatments that vary from the original. I'm especially interested because I'm running out of background fabric. I ran out of steam long ago and I'm looking for inspiration!

Anyway, 3 of the photos in the City Quilter series caught my eye. They are:
J2 - Picture Perfect, 1st edition
  • Jane Plays with Dolls was made by Pamela Leonard Wexler who has made 30 different quilts that were all inspired by the Dear Jane quilt! I am humbled. I just make a few blocks from time to time and fantasize about each one becoming yet another DJ-inspired quilt...and then sometimes make a virtual quilt to celebrate the idea. When I made this block, I had a fantasy about making all the DJ blocks using doll fabric. Ms Wexler has actually done it!
  • My Dear Jane made by Ayako Ishizuku uses soft colors -- and no triangles or kites.
  • Peridot and Periwinkle Blue Medallion was also made by Pamela Leonard Wexler. This one focuses on the triangles and kites, and has a scalloped border.
Mohawk Doll, a virtual quilt made with Dear Jane blocks
In 2009, I made a series of virtual quilts with a valentine's theme using photos of my red and pink Dear Jane blocks.

    1 comment:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails