Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Momma - Age 12

This is my mom at age 12. That would make it 1936. The location would be Brooklyn. As the youngest of seven children in a poor family during the Great Depression, most of what she wore was hand-me-downs. Here father was in business with his father and brother. It was a "rag business" meaning they sold old clothes. My mother's father was also a tailor and her mother knew how to sew so you can see that her clothes still had some style to them despite the poverty. This photo shows more curls on my mother's head than I've seen in any other photo of her -- or in person! I'd love to know what colors she was wearing. If you click on the photo, you can see a bit more detail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll bet her mom set her hair on rags the night before this picture was taken. So this would be her best bib and tucker.
Rags are a great way to set hair. Cheap, comfortable and easy. It's great for kids because it's so comfortable. It makes great pipe curls/banana curls or you can comb it out, which is what it looks like your grandmother did here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails