Sunday, June 22, 2008

Replacing Farm Fields

What Was I Thinking?
This is the latest block for the Dear Baby Jane group, H13 - Farm Fields. The first time I made it (years ago), I used mustard yellow and pastel yellow -- together. Yuck! What was I thinking?! In my defense, the inspiration fabric includes mustard yellow. Moral of the story: When you repeat a mistake, it's still a mistake.

Color Correction
Last night I re-did this simple block using colors that are more compatible with the rest of my Dear Jane blocks (and each other!) I thought about using the floral fabric again but I did not have enough of the flowers to do fussy cuts so I switched to yellow stripes that resemble a plowed field. Even though I previously used this striped fabric for another block, D8 - Dee Dee's Delight, I convinced myself that something had gotten onto my fabric. I was all set to rewash the fabric but luckily, I finally figured out that the gray flecks are part of the fabric design.

Piecing
Somehow, my organizing system failed and I could not find the original templates but, I was able to use templates saved from other Dear Jane blocks. When I made the mustard-pastel block, I pieced the four fussy cuts first. There is no way of telling for sure if they were machine or hand pieced since I appliqued the X on top of the seams and then removed the telltale piecing stitches when I removed the freezer paper (used for the applique) via a cut on the back of the block. At that time, my confidence in my applique skills outweighed my confidence in my piecing skills by a long shot. This time I hand pieced the whole thing. I think applique gave a better result as there is a slight waviness to the X in the newest block but, nothing terrible. It's a definite keeper.

Mosaics
I'm still addicted to Mosaic Maker! Here are two more. I love the lattice and diamonds formed by the X's and the way the geometric X's and somewhat organic stars offset each other. The second mosaic has a narrow e-sashing.

3 comments:

Bloom said...

Yes, I have to agree the second version is much nicer! I love the idea of using striped fabric to represent a worked field. Must remember that idea! Have a good week.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that top mosaic. What a beautiful quilt that would make.

I am in awe of your quilting skills. I can't even sew on a button (and if you think I'm kidding, let me show you my nice winter coat and a couple of my favourite blouses--all with buttons missing).
Sherry

Julia said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog.
I love what you have done with these blocks! Just shows how lovely just two blocks can looks together.
My medallion for my DJ will not be in DJ Sq's or tri's...I am keeping that a secret till last, but it will be in fitting with the old style.
thank you julia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails