Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Dad and the Coyote

On Father's Day, June 15, I started re-drafting this block, A7 - Dad's Plaids. The forest green of the original block does not go with the colors for my Dear Jane quilt. Brenda's draft was different from Jane's block, so for this go-round, I changed the size and position of the melons to more closely match Jane's block and switched from handpiecing and applique to total handpiecing which appears to be how Jane made this block. That means the number of pieces went from eight to twelve.

See the next photo of the redrafted block. Click on the photo to enlarge it.
I also fussy cut the green melons. In my opinion, Brenda's draft and the forest green have more "punch" than this new draft and fabric but it will blend better with the rest of my Dear Jane blocks and in the end, that's what I want. I will have to come up with a project to use my replaced blocks as this is the first in as many as 30 blocks that might get re-done.
This sateen fabric was also used for I11 - Coyote Chase discussed here and here. Of course, I could not resist making three new mosaics! The patterns remind me of Japanese celedon plates with a rice pattern. I wanted to add a link here but can't find a picture online of the rice pattern.

3 comments:

MEG BAIER said...

hello minka,
your dj blocks fascinate me!!!not only by the colors you chose, as for the perfection you've made them!
have you by any chance a closer "how to" to this A-7? I like it so much...i would like to make mine like you did...if that's ok!
i looooove these overlaping in the center!
thank you so much for sharing your art with us!!
cheers
meg

Minka said...

Hi Meg,
Thanks for your kind remarks. My camera was cooperating today, so took a photo of the pieces I used for this block. Remember to click on the photos to make them bigger.
I hope this helps!
Mindy/Minka

MEG BAIER said...

thank you soooo much mindy!!!it does help a lot!
i am really impressed by your "baby jane" i love the colours you chose, and how you put them together!!since we've had such a cold and long winter this year, as an "original brazilian" i stay inside and take the chance to sew. =))
at this point i have made 36 blocks. i'll be posting the others soon!!
thank you very vrey much!!
xoxoxox

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails