Monday, June 16, 2008

Rickshaw

M11 - Rickshaw was my first hand-pieced block. I had started making my Dear Jane blocks in the 1990's and was having a terrible time getting the accuracy I wanted with machine piecing. My teacher, Marilyn (I don't remember her last name), picked out this block. I was doubting I could do it -- it looked too difficult -- and was pleasantly surprised when I realized that her techniques worked so well for me! I love the unique symmetry of this block. I have yet to master hand quilting but when I'm ready, I hope that I can find as good a teacher for that. Maybe I should be practicing now.

I seem to be addicted to making mosaics of Dear Jane blocks. For this one, I cropped the original photo and then made a duplicate which I rotated. Next I made a checkerboard of the two blocks. I like this as an (admittedly busy) all-over pattern. Next, I tried stripes.
This is the fourth block in a row for the Dear Baby Jane group that I already had done. I finally got myself to start another block rather than just cruising. I'm still catching up from being out of town last week and will take off tomorrow, so maybe I can get that block done. It will be a busy day. Yesterday, I bought fabric for the Dear Baby Jane green fabric swap. I hope to get to the post office with that fabric tomorrow. I also need to finalize arrangements for transporting my contemporary quilt to the Vermont Quilt Festival. O yes, and I get my annual eye exam.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails