Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pink Chex

This painting is from years ago, undated. I found it as I was pulling together my supplies so that I could take a painting workshop that started this afternoon. The workshop was a birthday gift to myself. It's en plein air (French for "open air") meaning making art outdoors. The funny part is that this workshop runs three afternoons in a row and the next two days have at least an 80 percent chance of rain! Even funnier is that I've considered this class for weeks and what finally moved me to sign up? This video on Flickr of Michiel Thomas of the Netherlands. When you watch it -- and you must -- turn on the sound, loud, and be prepared for a jolt. Be sure to watch it all the way through. The feed may be erratic so don't mistake a pause for the ending of the video. When I watched this video, all I could think was "Yes! I want to be there!" I also happen to love Michiel Thomas' work.
As I rummaged through my closet on Sunday looking for my paints, I found some paintings I had forgotten. I thought all my work was in a couple portfolios in another closet. Surprise! Pink chex! I've posted two versions here as the shot was done with a flash and the color is not quite right in either one. The darker one is enhanced on IrfanView and is probably closer to the truth.

Today is the first time I've painted in years and I was not too crazy about what I produced -- so I won't be sharing any of my work from today. Initially, I had lots of negative tapes running in my head but by the end of today's session, I felt like I was getting some place . . . relaxing and enjoying the process, and giving myself permission to do what I enjoy most: splashing around from an impulsive place. Realism is not my goal.

PS - I got braver as the week progressed and ended up posting the paintings from day 1 here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Minka - Couldn't find an e-mail address on your blog, but wanted to thank you for the link.

Warm regards,
Virginia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails