Sunday, July 20, 2008

Home at Last!

I was in New York for the Fourth of July week and finally delivered the black and white quilt to its new home, a brownstone decorated in a playful mix of the old and the new.
Before I left home, I took one photo of it on a double bed. The intended use for the quilt is for naps on the sofa but it would work on a twin bed -- or a double bed with one person in it.

When I had most of the blocks done, the quilt recipients and I met at a halfway point (at a friend's home) and moved the blocks around on a wood floor considering the options. I actually enjoy this type of collaborative process.

We decided that the leftover blocks would be made into a pillow. I did my own stitch-in-the-ditch quilting on the pillow and kind of wish I had done the same with the quilt. I opted to have it professionally quilted using a pantograph called Sydney. The Vermont Quilt Festival judges felt that the quilting was not in scale to the quilt blocks. Just for that alone, I'm glad I entered the quilt into the contest. I like learning more and debating the options -- even if the debate is just happening inside my own head.

O well, it's done now. On to the next project!

Additional photos and posts of this quilt including close-ups of the label and one of the fabrics can be found here, here, here and here.

2 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I rarely ever opt for panto's - not sure why (Oh yeah, my most economical quilter does not do them.) But on your quilt - while I have not seen it close up - seems to be o.k. with what ever quilting you chose, becasue it is busy enough... (Too busy for fancy schmancy quilting) Stitch in the ditch would have worked as well, but could have been considered trite... It is a balance...

Anina said...

Wow, it's beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails