Tuesday, July 1, 2008

VQF 2008 - Governor's Award


I love this quilt by Janyce I. Broude. It won the Governor's Award for Best Vermont Quilt at the 2008 Vermont Quilt Festival.

Details
725 3.75-inch blocks made using a traditional Japanese fold described in Japanese Folded Patchwork by Mary Clark, a quilt-as-you-go technique. Janyce wrote: A fabric circle is folded around a contrasting fabric square plus batting, and the edges of the circle are secured with quilting. The squares are then joined with a ladder stitch, so there are, in fact, no seams at all in the quilt. In case you are wondering, here's a ladder stitch diagram.

The Added Magic
The added magic of this quilt pattern is that it makes a reversible quilt with no border or binding. Isn't the color progression wonderful?

Janyce's Design
Janyce made each block with one solid fabric and one printed fabric; sometimes the solids is the circle (on the back) and sometimes it's the square that only shows on the front. She arranged the solids and prints in a checkerboard which is most obvious when looking at the "back" although this feature happens on both sides of the quilt. Janyce also added one diagonal line of hand quilting to each block. I thought there was a pattern to how those lines are arranged but now that I look at the photos, I'm not sure.

I find the idea of a portable quilting project very appealing and want to make one of these quilts -- smaller one, in a tighter color scheme. I have to say, the name of this quilt scares me a bit -- TGIFF (Thank Goodness It's Finally Finished!)

PS. Learn more about this technique here and here. Mary Ann tells me that the Japanese join their blocks using the herringbone stitch rather than hiding ladder stitches between the blocks.

6 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

that is a beautiful quilt !!!loving it nd inspired all at the same time! I am in the mood for some color!!!

Stacy A. said...

Wow, you are right, this quilt is stunning. I am not sure if I totally understand the concept, I'll have to check out your links. Yours is still my favorite though. I love how you used the colors and the design! You did a fantastic job.

The Calico Cat said...

I have a template that does the same thing, but the shapes are pretty close to Magen David.

http://www.ardcotemplates.com/gps.shtml

I own bothj sizes, but have yet to use them.

Shelina said...

I made one of these using used jeans.

Mary Ann said...

What a gorgeous quilt!!!!
Not sure if mine will ever get that big!! LOL! The Japanese use a herringbone stitch, which is hard to get used to if you normally do the ladder stitch! It took me a while getting comfortable stitching the blocks together with a visible seam!
Thanks so much for sharing!!!

tamdoll said...

This is fantastic, thanks for sharing the link. I can see how it's made & might even try this one day. I'm wondering if the edges of the circle are turned under, or if the edges are raw... will follow your other links and see, and bookmark this for when I have an ambitious project in mind.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails