Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Quilt Insurance

Searching for Quilt Insurance
I'm getting ready to send a quilt to the Vermont Quilt Festival in June -- see sneak peek photo below. Today, I began to explore how much it would cost me to insure the quilt while it's traveling to and from the festival -- I believe the VQF insures the quilts while they are at the festival. I started with the online book, Straight Talk About Quilt Care. Chapter 1A talks about quilt insurance and provided a lead to Chris Johnston.
Chris Johnston
Chris Johnston's phone number remains the same: 800-688-7472; her email has changed to chris.johnston@hubinternational.com.

Disclaimer: If you are in the market for insurance, you obviously need to contact Chris directly for details that fit your unique situation. The following information only represents my particular situation at the time this blog posting was first written.

The first thing I learned is that Chris will cover the quilt all the time -- not just while it's in transit. Chris insures quilts for $1.12 per $100 value. I already had an appraisal done a few months ago as I knew I would need that for the festival submission and insurance purposes. For $84 she will insure my quilts for a year up to a value of $7,500. The quilt value is no where near $7,500 so that dollar amount will also cover other quilts, fabric, and my sewing machine. She renews policies in February, so the amount I'm charged will actually be pro-rated since my policy would potentially start in June.
Update on Quilt Insurance
It turns out that the policy has a $500 deductible. Given the appraised value of my quilt, it does not pay to buy the insurance. I do think this insurance product would be worth it to me if I had a lot of quilts that traveled often -- especially if their values were in the thousands of dollars.

Label for Black and White Quilt
Several of you have asked to see the quilt. I'm keeping it "under wraps" until the festival but here's a peek at the label. Photographing this quilt has been a challenge due to the high contrast of the black and white fabrics. Despite appearances, the label does have square corners.

Favorite Fabric
As often happens (to me, anyway), a fabric becomes unexpectedly beloved. So, when we all fell in love with the big band fabric (at the top and bottom of the label), it was too late to get more. * * * Do let me know if you know where I can get more of the big band fabric! * * * Click on the photo to enlarge the image.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails