Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

It's Memorial Day. I wanted to post a photo of my dad when he was in the army but I have none. So instead, here's a photo of my mom and her older sister, Celia, at the beach in 1936. Assuming it was taken in the summer, my mom was 11 years old and Celia was ~21. Celia just died this year; she was ~93 years old.

Anyway, I love my mom's smile and the mischief in Celia's expression. Celia was the second oldest of the seven children and my mom was the baby. It was the middle of the Great Depression which did not end until 1939, according to Wikipedia. Of course, they did not know it but, they had World War II in their future.

1 comment:

Randa Dubnick said...

This is great! Great photo of two beautiful ladies! And you have your mother's smile!

Love, Randi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails