Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Double Stability

Double stability. A Chinese entree? No, a Dear Jane story.
Problems with Stability
While digging through some fabric this week, I found a nearly finished Dear Jane block, I4 -Stability, made with a fabric I don't like. I have no idea when I made it but it was within the past 12 months. I decided to ignore the fabric, add the missing triangles, and call it done. After I trimmed the block to size, I realized why I had abandoned the block in the first place: it's the right size but the seam allowances around the edges were way off. One edge was less than 1/8 inch.

Time to Start Over
I was thinking I could redo that side of the block and then I thought about how much I don't like this fabric. The colors don't go with my quilt and they are so pale that the block pattern does not show. The hand of the fabric is worse than wimpy; the weave is so loose that a knotted thread just pulls right through. So I decided to scrap the block and start over.

Second Edition
I like the second edition of this block so much better and not just because of the fabric. The construction is different, too. The first time, I appliqued the half melons onto the block after I pieced everything else. This time, I appliqued the four half melons onto the central square before I started piecing the rest of the block. I only appliqued the curved edges. The straight edge of the half melons are sewn into seams. That alone, made a huge difference.

Looking Ahead
The completion of this block means that I now have five concentric diamonds encircling the central block. Woohoo! That said, three of the blocks in this diamond are reds instead of pinks, but I'm going to ignore that for now. The next diamond will not be as easy as the last three. It has 24 blocks and only half of them are completed. That means I have 12 green blocks to make before the sixth diamond is complete. After that, it will be all down hill because this is the biggest diamond in the quilt. Of course, as I move to the edges, I will also encounter more blocks that will have to be replaced because the colors are far from pastel. I'm not going to think about that too much right now. Instead, I'm going to go decide which block to make next and which green fabric I want to use for it.

1 comment:

Sherry in NH said...

Who knew quilting could be so intricate? These squares are awesome! I love them, each and every one. Well, except I do agree with you about the one you trashed being too pale. I think you're right about that.

Someday you can make a tote bag or a pillow out of your reject squares. I'll bet it'll look smashing, too.

These really are nice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails