Saturday, May 30, 2009

Picture Perfect

Seeking Perfection
I made this replacement block yesterday, J2 - Picture Perfect. The first edition of this block (shown below) was used often in my "Valentines for Jane" series. It was done mostly by machine; the white frame was appliqued. It was an early block and was made before I knew how to hand piece quilt blocks. The pieces were all the wrong size because I just could not work that small. The new block is entirely hand pieced.

The Obsession Continues: Color, Dolls, Location
Although I'm moving to pastels, I still love the little Japanese dolls. enough that I put them in the new edition of this block. Since the four squares with the dolls are now larger (the correct size), in part, because the ivory lines are now just as narrow as Jane's, I can no longer use the tiny dolls as they would be lost in the space and other aspects of the print would show. In the end, I chose four identical dolls in pink gowns. I hope the pink gowns make up for the red background and that the red in the windows is small enough to work with my colors. I'd rather not do this block a third time. I am considering putting three red blocks in each corner of the quilt as a way to pick up the red in the theme fabric. If I do, this block may get moved to a corner if it does not blend well enough with the more pastel blocks.

I remade this block -- see it here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails