Saturday, July 4, 2009

Starburst

111 blocks
As I started to work on my latest Dear Jane block, F12-Starburst, I was wondering about the use of the Maltese Cross. Today I finally read up on its history and its numerous uses. From Wikipedia, I learned about its first use as a symbol in the 11th century and the origin of its name from its association with the Knights of Malta and the Mediterranean island of Malta. This link explains why some think the Maltese Cross was used by Hitler, how the Iron Cross differs from the Maltese Cross, and much much more.

As I completed the block, it dawned on me that Jane Stickle never heard of Hitler -- or the new one and two Euro coins (which have Maltese crosses on their backs). In fact, it's possible that Jane had her own association with the Maltese Cross. Today, I made up an association of my own -- fireworks -- as I thought of the many firecrackers will be fired this evening.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails