Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fussy Cut Rescue

Fussy Cut Improv
I improvised this English paper piecing method because I needed one more pentagon with a matching fussy cut.  The photos are a bit fuzzy but I think you will be able to see how I took three itty bitty pieces of fabric to make the fourth pentagon in the first photo. When you click on the photos (to enlarge them), you will see that the orange shape is pretty "true" but the green "ruffles" above it are wonky. The piecing is imperfect because that's all I had for fabric. I've since learned that this is called a "poverty block."  (It's also called patchkieing -- big time. LOL!) Here's how it's done.

Method
Start with two pieces. Decide where you will place your seams. Each situation is different, based on what you have available. Either choose the piece that has the biggest part of the fussy cut or, place the seam where it's least noticeable. Explore your options, make your choice, and then fold back a seam allowance on one of the pieces. Finger press the crease. In this example, the fabric crease is between the two pink arrows.
Pin the two pieces together so that the fabric pattern is continuous. Hand sew the seam as if it was an applique. This allows precise matching. In this case, the seam was sewn between the two black arrows so that I could fold back the selvage in the next step.


 Flip it over and trim the seam allowances to 1/8 inch. Do not press the seam open; the seam will be stronger that way.
Fold back the edge that has the selvage.





Pin the third piece in place. Again, hand sew the seam as if it were an applique, and then trim the seam allowances to about 1/8 inch. The matching in this sample is imperfect because that's all I had for fabric.The completed patchwork is now ready to make into a pentagon using English paper piecing methods as shown here.
Method to My Madness
On one hand, I'm proud of myself for figuring this out. On the other hand, I can't deny it -- I'm fussy-cut obsessed! Hopefully, it's not a terminal condition!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have used this technique many times when working limited quantities of vintage & antique fabric. I've just never seen it described and photographed so well.

Ann Champion said...

You did a wonderful job on the piecing!
Great job on the step by step process too. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails