Friday, May 28, 2010

The View from Markey's






















Granite State of Mind by Super Secret Project landed on YouTube nearly two months ago. Since then, it's had nearly 1.5 million hits. While I enjoyed it right off the bat, I appreciated it even more after watching the video it parodies -- Empire State of Mind by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys. 

Markey's versus Brown's
One part of the lyrics mystified me: "Markey's versus Brown's on the seafood. Tell me, which one will you choose?" The video shot makes it clear the two lobster pounds are right across the street from each other. Today, I made a field trip, and I chose Markey's Lobster Pound because they have a dining space outside along the estuary. If Brown's Lobster Pound has similar offerings, I missed them.

Wondering about Wetlands
The view was beautiful and restful. The currents were amazing. The water near the building was going away from the sea; meanwhile, the water across the way, was going out to sea. I took this shot with my cell phone. Looking at the estuary, I kept thinking of the horrible damage that was happening on the Gulf coast wetlands, while I sat and enjoyed my fried clams. In fact, it's happening all day, every day while we all go about all kinds of ordinary things. It's this slowly creeping horror. It's so awful, it seems like it should be happening under the cover of darkness, but it's out there in the sunlight, in the moonlight. Will this become our "new normal"?

Download Victory Dance
I'm proud of myself for finally figuring out how to get photos off my camera. Some were a year old! Most of them were taken today at Fuller Gardens -- nearly 80 shots.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails