Saturday, May 15, 2010

Rebecca's Basket

I finally got a chance to photograph this replacement Dear Jane block, J12 - Rebecca's Basket. It's a bit wonky but not nearly as bad as the previous edition.

Better yet, it's pink -- to maintain the trip-round-the-world layout. I'm so happy to be able to retire the green basket. Its green woven pattern was perfect, but the color was too dark for the quilt, and I hated the horrid pink background and wonky seams. (Clearly, I can make straighter seams by hand than by machine!)

The Fabric
When I bought this fabric, I was thinking of this quilt, but it was not until a few weeks afterward, that I realized its woven pattern would be perfect for this block. This is a reproduction fabric. I only have part of the information on the selvage; it says: Gere Circa 1860 Pattern #21359.

Making the Block
A week ago, I finally made this block. The whole thing came together pretty quickly. I redrafted this pattern years ago so that the shape of the basket more closely matchs Jane's.  Luckily, I save my pattern pieces in an organized fashion, so all I had to do was pull out the templates I made years ago.

Dear Jane Progress
FYI, I now have all my replaced DJ blocks in this Flickr set. Each "old" block is paired with its replacement. Here's my updated progress image. Replaced blocks are in the bottom row.

3 comments:

Ann Champion said...

I love the layout of your blocks. I wouldn't have thought to do the blocks with a trip around the world color placement. It really makes them so much prettier. :)

Minka said...

Thanks, Ann. It took me a very long time to recognize that Jane's quilt is done in a TRTW arrangement. The fading of colors does not help one recognize this. Anyway, I was deep into this project when I decided to bite the bullet and go with TRTW.

Since then, I found something else even better. [Don't worry, I'm not switing again!] If you want to see it, check quilt #7 at this link: http://bear-necessities.net/bjqm/cpg1419/thumbnails.php?album=228&page=1 The colors are arranged by quadrants of a diamond. Gorgeous!

Dee said...

I've always admired the commitment to those of you brave souls doing this quilt. It simply boggles the mind!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails