Sunday, May 9, 2010

Tisket-a-Tasket: Jane's Wrong-Colored Basket

This block has been replaced. You can see it here.

Wrong Color
Because I'm following the trip-round-the-world color arrangement, this Dear Jane block, J12 - Rebecca's Basket, should be pink. What happened? I really liked the way this fabric portrays the woven texture of a basket, so,  instead, I used a pink background. After all this time, the colors in this block still bother me. The wimpy pink next to the strong green just does not do it for me.

Perfect Fabric
A few weeks ago, I found the perfect pink fabric. Tonight, I decided to take a break from the English paper piecing and make this relatively simple Dear Jane block.

Redrafting and Construction
The first time around, I redrafted the block to make it match Jane's a little better. Luckily, I have a pretty good system for saving my pattern pieces so I was able to use them tonight. This green basket was machine pieced. You can see, that my machine workmanship is wonky. Hopefully the new (handpieced block) will be less wonky. The handles on both baskets were appliqued. The photo of the new block will be posted later this week when I have a chance to shoot it in natural light. Between cloudy days and working full time, photographing quilt blocks by daylight can be a challenge. Stay tuned.

Mother's Day
There's a Mother's Day connection, too. My mom's name was going to be Rebecca -- until her siblings informed their mother that Rebecca was an old fashioned name! Being the youngest meant she had the most "modern" name of the seven children.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails