Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Crossed Swords

While I was on vacation earlier this month, I was able to complete one Dear Jane block per day. Things have slowed down. In the last eight days, I started another block that I'm revising and made this block, D12 - Crossed Swords.


Fabric
From the beginning, I had doubts about this fabric and now I think this block may be destined for replacement because it's so dark. It's possible that if I stay away from the feather pattern which is printed in red and black, and instead, use only the moire pattern (currently used in the corners of this block), this fabric might work for this block.
BTW, I used this same fabric for one of my pentagon flowers.Use the link to hop over and take a peak!

Civil War
Still, how could I do it? After replacing so many blocks because they were the wrong color, you'd think I would know better. What can I say? I really love this fabric and was eager to use it. This reproduction 1860's fabric copies one that was first made right before the Civil War. This is one of only a few blocks that have names that possibly refer to the Civil War (Crossed Swords). Given that Jane Stickle made a point of mentioning the War in the corner of her quilt, I took this block to heart.

I'm going to wait -- I plan to make some slightly darker blocks for the corners so this may just work.

Dear Jane Progress = 140 Blocks
As of July 18, 29 blocks to go (plus a few replacements)

2 comments:

Sherry (a non-quilter) said...

I LOVE this block, just love it. I love the feathery fabric.

Now, I have no idea how it fits with your overall colour scheme, of course. Am only commenting upon the block in isolation. It's very arresting, my eye just keeps moving around and around, feasting on the sense of movement the feathered fabric and diagonals foster.

Very nice block, very nice.

Una said...

Minka! I sincerely hope you keep this block - it needs no replacement. It is beautiful! The commenter before me said it all;) One block a day - good for you! Thanks for the inspiration to keep at the janies:) Thank you also for your kind comments. I have not been able to thank you, as I cannot seem to find an email adress to reach you. Warm greetings, Una

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails