Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sweet Harmony

Another Dear Jane block -- I13 - Sweet Harmony. I made 10 blocks in July. I was hoping to do more but once my vacation ended, quilting productivity slowed down.

Redraft
I started redrafting this block one to two weeks ago. Massive changes were needed, and it took me three tries to get all the components to fit in the allotted size and to be proportionate to each other.

The outer frame of color was missing from Brenda's draft. The fours squares/diamonds in the corners should be floating -- not touching the larger central motif. The four "floaters" should be the same size as the five squares in the center of the block. I managed to eleminate some of the pieces that frame the floaters. Jane and Brenda both used three additional piece to frame each floater. I think Jane's version has 53 pieces and Brenda's has 49.  I know mine has 41 pieces.

Follow Jane, Brenda, or Minka
This post has been added to a list on my Dear Jane page. The list is all about blocks that have been done differently than Jane's original -- and how I sometimes follow Jane's way, other times, follow Brenda, or (as in this case) come up with my own draft.

Fabric
I had fun with the fabric. I kept thinking I could rename this block Stars and Stripes -- and Cheerios! I used the stars on B10 - Jud's Trophy and K11 - Columbine, too. In fact, at one time, I was dreaming of a Dear Jane quilt with the tiny stars snuck in where ever possible. As you can see, I've restrained myself! LOL!

Dear Jane Progress = 141 Blocks
To date, I have replaced 11 blocks; one of them twice. As of August 1, 2010, I have 28 blocks to go. I have now made all the blocks in Row I; seven of the 13 rows are complete (however, I think I will be replacing a few blocks in those 7 rows. What else is new?)

1 comment:

Lori said...

Your block is fantastic!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails