Saturday, November 6, 2010

Lakota Sioux

In the fall of 2011, I finally visited the Dear Jane Quilt in person and took a few photos -- and made a discovery! Two of the blocks (this is one of them) were made with cheater cloth. That is, some of the piecing is not really piecing -- it's a change in the fabric color. Read about it here.

This Dear Jane block, C13 - Lakota Sioux, seems to be a favorite of many Janiacs -- just look here at all the variations.














Redraft
I've been pondering Brenda's draft for years. It appears to be wrong unless perhaps those blue corners were created not from separate pieces but from clever fussy cuts. Once I was ready to make the block, I was so grateful to be able to be able to refer to this 2009 set of photos of the original quilt -- and a 2010 set by the same woman. After carefully studying many of the photos, I remain uncertain. After reading this blog posting, I realized that there was another (extremely subtle) problem with the draft; the width of the diamond frames is not consistent. I decided to redo the whole draft and added corner pieces.

Fabrics
I used three fabrics for this block -- two of them have tiny touches of blue which is my tip of the hat to Jane's mysterious blue corners. The fabrics were all previously used in other blocks (and I've never blogged about three of of them.) [Click on the photos to enlarge them.]:












Dear Jane Progress = 155 Blocks, 3.183 Pieces
As of November 6, 2010, I have completed 8 columns and 9 rows. I have 14 blocks to go -- plus a few replacements!

1 comment:

Karen said...

C-13 is a beautiful block!! Such a pretty fabric for the center.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails