Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sally's Pride

I call this block The Flying H. Brenda named it L12 - Sally's Pride.

Imperfect, But Done
Those tiny appliqued triangles are killers; I almost skipped them. Eons ago, when I started this quilt I was good at applique. Still, I skipped this block, probably because of the tiny piecing. All my other appliques were done using the freezer paper method, but that did not work on these narrow 45-degree angles.

Method to My Madness
Actually, it's very little method and lots of madness. I searched for tutorials on YouTube. This is one of the videos that helped me. I've never done the needle-turn method before. To tell the truth, I don't think I've done it yet! I did not do all the preparation they mention, because I could not find a video that explained it.

I made a practice triangle, and then I ventured forth. Along the way, I figured out how to get around those tight corners. Here's what I learned:
  • Practice on something other than your block.
  • My father always told us to use the right tools, and use quality tools. I thought about that a lot as I struggled through this block. I was sick over the weekend and did not want to go out shopping.
    • I did not have applique pins and that would have been nice.
    • When it was time to use the tracing paper, it would have made a huge difference if I had the proper stylus. I thought I bought one when I bought the tracing paper years ago, but I could not find it. Because I did not want to go out, I made do with a mechanical pencil. Bad idea; if the tracing paper tears, you end up with graphite on your fabric.
  • When using tracing paper, work on a hard surface or your lines will be wide and smudgy. 
  • Use thread that matches the applique piece -- not the background fabric. In my case, that really did not matter much since the colors are so close.
  • If you are making a right triangle, it's best to save the easiest corner (the 90-degree angle) for last.
  • Start stitching halfway between two corners.
  • Do not trim your corners too close or it's impossible to turn under the edges.
  • At the corners, fold the fabric twice.
  • I was unable to turn the fabric with my needle which is why I think I never really "got" the needle-turn technique but this is what I was able to do:
    • Stitch all the way up to the corner. Make a complete stitch into the corner you are about to turn.
    • Take out all the pins so you can open the applique piece onto the background and make your folds. (I can hear the purists groaning.) Pin everything back into place and stitch around the corner.
  • Take your time and keep breathing.
Orientation of Block
Brenda's draft is off a quarter turn but maybe she's compensating for mirror images. Anyway, I need to be careful when it's time to place this block so I get it oriented correctly.

Dear Jane Progress = 162 blocks (96%); 3,359 pieces
As of Sunday, May 22, 2011, I have 7 blocks to go -- and maybe 4 kites!

2 comments:

Jolanda said...

Lovely! Only 7 more blocks, are you doing the triangles too? I'm still strugling with my side borders, don't have much time! :)

Minka said...

My original plan was to only make the square blocks. Now, I'm considering the corner kites with solid fabrics for all the triangles. No definite plans yet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails