Saturday, September 8, 2012

Safflower and Spoonflower.1

Treated myself to flowers today and made four arrangements. I'll try to post a new pix each day.

The orange blossoms are safflower. I think of safflower as an oil. Who knew? It's a plant with fluffy orange blossoms! Apparently, they are sometimes used as a cheap substitute for saffron. Look closely at the unopened buds (click on the image to enlarge it) -- the buds are covered with little leaves.

The large leaves at the neck of the vase are hydrangea leaves. I think they showed up better in the picture below.

That's one of my Spoonflower swatches in the background. This has me thinking, I should print this up as yardage and do something with it. It's been years and I still like it and still yearn to see it as a big expanse of fabric.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails