Tuesday, April 15, 2008

DJ Animal Blocks

D4 - Crystal Star (with elephant and monkeys) and J13 - Pam's Bells (with tiger) are among my most favorite blocks. They are from the same fabric which has at least one other elephant on it. I would like to make another block with the fabric but I need to wait until I am doing a block near the bottom of the quilt so that the color distribution is even -- since row D is near the top and row J is near the middle of the quilt.

I'm having a hard time doing much of anything tonight. Maybe tomorrow, I can work on drafting the next block and getting the pieces traced and cut out. I need to really stay focused so I can keep up with the Dear Baby Jane group. We may stay with row B and that means I cannot rely on blocks that I made years ago.

I probably won't have any new photos until the weekend. Natural light seems to be the best way to photograph the quilts and blocks. By the time I get home from work it's dark (or it's getting dark and I just want to eat dinner).

Tonight, I drove a great distance to buy food for Passover. I was hoping to find shmura matzot but the store did not carry them this year. Shmura matzot are made for religious reasons but one reason I buy them is because they are more rustic looking and they have a lot more substance to them. Next year, I think I will mail order a box so that I don't miss out, and that way I can even get whole wheat shmura matzot. In my opinion shmura matzot are to other matzot as homemade bread is to Wonder bread. Here's an explanation and photos of shmura and regular matzoh.

3 comments:

Anne said...

These animals are AMAZING. I'm in love. Any time you want to swap a couple of bits of that fabric ... but from the sound of it you only have a few precious bits left. Do you still know what it is or where you got it from?

Anne said...

By the way, I'm pinsandthimbles Anne. I guess it's not too clear from the Blogger name.

The Calico Cat said...

We had to order hand made whole wheat Schmura Matzoh form Brooklyn, they were only carrying white locally (Baltimore/Washington).

Margarine was THE hot commodity...
I got a 1 lb. block (not four 1/4 lb. sticks) for $5!

(According to my husband, one of the machines at Mother's broke down. & My prefered brand Migdal hasn't produced it for a couple years. So we were "stuck" with a huge chunk of Haolam.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails