Saturday, April 12, 2008

DJQ Mosaic 3

Like yesterday's post, this mosaic is also a mix of keepers and "off-color" blocks; the latter may not end up in my final Baby Jane quilt. For the names of the blocks, visit this page on Flickr. If you click on the block names on that page, it will bounce you to a close-up photo of that block.

I've not yet decided if I will re-do the low contrast blocks (done in pale pastels with ivory.) This purple block, E13 - Moth in a Web, will be redone in another fabric. It's sad. I chose that fabric because it has butterflies that go with the pattern (click on photo for a close up), but I've finally figured out that until I get the colors right, this quilt will annoy me. I don't want to put a lot of work into this quilt and then hate it because the colors are off. I hope to find a fun way to use all my DJ rejects. In and of themselves, I like the blocks with "off colors" but they just don't go with my idea of a pastel Dear Jane quilt.

H12 - Hannah Lou's Hearts is a keeper. I like the whisper of red in this block. (Click on it to enlarge it.) Since I've now decided I will repeat fabrics, I should start using this Japanese fabric in some of the other blocks. If I study this block too long, I may get hung up on how it's really coral. But, sometimes, when a color is standing out, using more of it can fix the problem. This fabric might work that way. On the other hand, repeating the red, forest green, and purple fabrics might make the quilt "work" but, it would no longer have the feeling of lightness that comes from a quilt done exclusively in pastels (with maybe a hint of red here and there). I've certainly learned my lesson to get my colors "right" before I start cutting fabric.

When I first tried to make one of the nine-patch blocks (I can't remember which one -- either J7 - Chicken Tracks or C12 - Family Reunion), I made several tries and they were all wonky. (I'm not the best at sewing a straight seam on a sewing machine.) Then, someone taught me hand-piecing. That's when I starting making lots of Dear Jane blocks -- nearly one a night, sometimes two. Now, I may redo Family Reunion one more time because the lime green is screaming out at me. It's a yellow green and many of my other greens are more from the blue family. Family Reunion is a challenge. It's made of 49 and the finished block is only 4.5 inches. Those little pieces are 1/2 inch square (the part that shows); if you count the seam allowances, they are 1 inch.

The backs of hand-pieced blocks fascinate me. To be continued . . .

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails