Saturday, October 9, 2010

Alison's Guiding Light

I finished this block, D1 - Alison's Guilding Light, last night. When I got up this morning I took a look and did a little happy dance.

The First Attempt
I've wanted to replace this block for years. The color and construction from my ancient first try (see below) make me cringe. In and of itself, I don't mind the color but it does not go with the colors for this quilt and every time I looked at the blocks together, it just jumped out at me. The other thing about this color -- it reminds me of menthol cigarettes. Ewww!

The construction? It was from the early years and I had not yet learned how to successfully hand stitch a block. All I knew how to do was machine stitching (and not in straight lines) and applique, so I decided to applique the thin strips onto the green fabric. I ended up with a lump in the center where all the strips meet and lots of wrinkles in the green fabric.

The Second Attempt
The fabric for my new attempt was also used for F12 - Starburst. This time, I hand pieced the block. The draft needed no tweaking. Construction was straightforward; I took my time and was meticulous about following the lines as I sewed my seams.

Dear Jane Progress = 148 Blocks; 3,015 pieces (not counting replacement blocks)
As of October 8, 2010, I have 21 blocks to go. This is my 13th replacement block.

1 comment:

Dee said...

What a beautiful block! Sew dainty and persnickity! Looks hard to do, but you've pulled it off beautifully!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails