Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lynette's Diamond

While the fussy cut in the center is placed assymetrically, the story behind my fabric choice for this block, M13 - Lynette's Diamond, does have some symmetry to it. The centerpiece is made from the same fabric used for my very first Dear Jane block, B1 - Bachelor Buttons. I didn't even have the ivory fabric yet and I certainly had no color plans -- and no plans to make the whole quilt! It would have been perfect symmetry (of the story) if this was my last block, and if these two blocks were at opposite corners of the quilt. This is "almost symmetry."
My very first Dear Jane block:
B1 - Bachelor Buttons

Redraft
Brenda's draft changed the ratio of the pieces. I redrafted the block to try and more closely match Jane's ratios. When I started this block over the weekend, I had no idea what I was going to put in the center, so I just pieced everything else.


The centerpiece fabric has many colors that do not go with this quilt so I had to select carefully. Some may consider this an odd choice since the colors for this fussy cut are muddy compared to the bright corners of this block, but I really like the way it links to my first Dear Jane block in the far corner of the quilt. I also like that it's the color of rhubarb, maybe because rhubarb season is about to begin!

Once I found my centerpiece, I folded and based back the edeges of the ivory fabric where it meets the diamond; pinned the fussy cut in place (Do you think I have enough pins in there? LOL!) and reverse appliqued the fussy cut into the block. Pretty simple. This block had 12 pieces before I redrafted it; now it has nine. Either way, that's not many for a Dear Jane block. Click on the photos for a closer look.

Scanning
This was my second try at scanning a block using my new scanner. I set the dpi at 600 this time. I used 300 dpi last time. I like the added clarity but it's going to take up more memory and it takes longer to upload the pictures. Do you scan your blocks? What dpi setting do you use? I just tweaked the color on the first photo; it looked slightly washed out to me.

Dear Jane Progress = 159 blocks (94%); 3,269 pieces
As of Wednesday, April 27, 2011, I have only 10 blocks to go, except that I will likely make the corner kites, and I may replace a few more blocks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails