Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Starlight-Starbright

Another corner block is complete: A13 - Starlight-Starbright!

Fabric
I used four fabrics for this block: the ivory, the monkey fabric, the semi-solid sage green (it has a subtle texture and the color is actually a gradation so I get a whole range of sage greens with this one reversible fabric), and the theme fabric with the pink-red flowers.

An entire Dear Jane quilt of the theme fabric would be splendid -- with a few contrasting fabrics thrown in! I do not plan to make a second Dear Jane Quilt, but if I were, I'd find a fabric I really-really love and get enough to do the whole thing in that one fabric with just a few others thrown in to provide fun fussy cuts, something semi-solid  (for small pieces), and something directional  or rhythmic (a striped or dotted pattern). That's my advice if anyone is starting out. The all-over look I'm talking about is the same as what's often seen in many of the Nearly Insane quilts such as this one.  I love making virtual quilts with photos of my Dear Jane blocks, and I can see I'm going to have to make a mosaic of my theme-fabric blocks some day.

Redraft and Construction
I only had to redraft the triangles which were left out in Brenda's draft. My guess is that they were an oversight due to the rush of a looming publication date. Perhaps my imagination is working overtime, but that's how I account for the drafting errors in this book that has inspired so many.

Whole New World
I just scanned this block (with my brand new scanner) -- rather than! I may have to scan all my blocks. This was so much easier than photographing my blocks in natural light. I completed the task at night in just a few minutes! This is a whole new world! No more waiting for the sun. No more fighting shadows, glare, and breezes. No more worry about enough light or too much light. This is just too cool and, my new scanner takes up so little space (it stands on its side)! I may have to scan all my blocks!

Dear Jane Progress = 158 blocks; 3,260 pieces
As of April 26, 2011, I have replaced 14 blocks. I now have 2 corner blocks done and only 11 blocks to go -- unless I make the four kites!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! I love the fussy cutting, especially the pink flowers.

Minka said...

Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails