Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Framed Fancy

A12 - Framed Fancy was slow going but now it's done. Yeah!

A12 - Framed Fancy: Redraft and Fabric
Redraft
On Jane's block, the diamond points touch the edges of the block, so I redrafted it and quickly had a guess why Brenda had not drafted it to match Jane's block -- it's hard to divide a square or diamond into even thirds with a standard ruler. I wish I had one with 1/3-inch markings. I do not, so I just faked my way through it.  I just added this photo of the redraft and fabric (3 days later) now that I have a new camera. If you click on it you can see the details and one mistake. Those pieces labeled "6" should all be "3".

I have no idea why Jane put three pieces adjacent to each other that were all cut from the same fabric. Why not make them into one piece. Any guesses? I nearly changed my draft to combine all three pieces into one, but decided to leave them as is. You can see a list of all my redrafted blocks here.


C3 - Rayelle's Fence
Fabric
I decided to make a bunch of fussy cuts -- 21 to be exact. (BTW, I've started counting my fussy cuts. See the total below.) The fabrics were previously used in C3 -  Rayelle's Fence (one of my early blocks) and D2 - Mouse in a Mirror. Click on the photos for a closer look. The yellow version of the bull's- eye/fleur-de-lis fabric was used in a number of other blocks. You can see the uncut fabric above and here. Jane used solid white fabric for the large corner pieces but I felt it looked a bit washed out and I wanted to save my ivory fabric -- for either triangle blocks and kites or sashing . . . maybe. I think the rosebud fabric was from my friend Myrt, and even if it was not, I think of her when I look at those rosebuds!

Construction
Joining 41 pieces was a lengthy process, especially when four, five, or six pieces meet at a single point throughout this block!

Dear Jane Progress = 167 blocks (99%),  3,522 pieces, 616 fussy cuts, 11 rows, 11 columns
As of Wednesday June 22, I have 2 blocks to go!

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Minka, you have done a terrific job with "Framed Fancy" It is so pretty, as are all of your blocks. The fussy cutting was well worth doing and really make the block. Did you decide to do the triangles then< sounds like you are considering it if you are saving your Ivory fabric:-))

Sherry said...

This block is astonishing. I made Dave look at it. He said "This would interest someone with a mathematical mind." He found it quite amazing.

It's not only amazing construction wise, it's really, really pretty. I love the colours. I'm a "big picture" kinda person so I wouldn't have noticed the fussy cuts had you not pointed them out. I'm so glad you did because they add so much.

This is a really great square. I'm so excited about your progress.

Minka said...

Sheila and Sherry, Thanks for your kind comments.

Sheila, I'm still undecided. I'm going to the gathering of Janiacs at the New England Quilt Museum next month and hoping lots of people bring their quilts along and that I have an epiphany when I see the quilts in person. I'm conserving on the ivory fabric because the early editions of "the book" gave the wrong amount of fabric and I doubt I'll have enough for all the sashing...or just the triangles. I'm going to have to come up with some crazy plan. I'm really disappointed because having the fabric match would have added some quiet in the midst of the busy-ness of this quilt.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails