Monday, October 10, 2011

Visiting Jane.Part 2

Block B13, Jane Stickle quilt, Bennington Museum, Bennington, VT. 
Yesterday, I visited the Bennington Museum, Bennington, VT. You know why I was there! The Jane Stickle quilt is on display every September and October, and I was determined to finally see the quilt this year!

The quilt is rotated one-quarter turn each year to minimize the effects of gravity. This year, the "top" (we all recognize from Brenda Papadakis' book) was on the right-hand side. I rotated this photo to compensate for the turning.

Here It Is
Here it is -- the block I mentioned in my post last night. I'm pretty certain B13 - Four Corner Press is made entirely of cheater cloth. As I pointed out in an earlier posting, it's the only block that does not have the ivory/white fabric and the only block that appears to use four different fabrics -- six fabrics, really, if you count the two slivers on the left and right sides. It was on my list of blocks to check closely when I visited.

Click the photo for a closer look. Click it again to make it even bigger. Notice how perfectly all those thin stripes line up. Look for evidence of a seam between the "pieces." You won't find any.

Printed Patchwork in the 1700's?
According to Pamela Weeks, Curator at the New England Quilt Museum, printed patchwork has been around since the late 1700's. She recommends the 2011 edition of Uncoverings, the annual journal of the American Quilt Study Group, for a great article by Deborah Kraak about printed patchwork.

What Was Jane Thinking?
What do you think Jane was thinking as she added that block? Did she add it  toward the end of the project? Was she getting tired of it piecing? Or, did she just like the fabric?

My Block
Here's my version of the block. Don't worry, I won't  remake it. I do wonder what Jane might think of all the blocks posted here on Flickr.

6 comments:

Sheila said...

I think you might be right. Boy am i glad Brenda didn't interpret those diamonds as applique.
If i were Jane with such a fabulous fabric at almost the right size for my blocks i would have done the same

Julianne said...

Hi Minka,
It is funny as I have been pondering over this block myself. It is difficult to see in the book exactly how it was pieced! I am almost up to this block, so will play with some fabric combinations. I love your block - pink and green together look gorgeous!!

Jane's Addicted. said...

love the closeup shot. thank you! : )

Anina said...

Very interesting. I'll have to ask my quilt historian friend about cheater cloth in the 1860's.

Karen said...

Very exciting! I noticed that on a few blocks and wondered if it was just the way Jane cut out the piece of fabric, fussy cut like.

Minka said...

Anina,
I just added some new info to my posting re: "printed patchwork" in the 1700's.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails