Sunday, July 11, 2010

Potholder

After I completed the most recent yellow Trip-Round-the-World (TRTW), I decided it was a good time to make two yellow replacement blocks before I put away the yellow fabrics and bring out the pink fabric for the next TRTW.

The first time I made F10 - Potholder, my yellow fabric was rather anemic. This time, I chose a stronger yellow. At the last minute, I decided to add the fussy cut in the middle and I'm really glad I did. I think this block was made for a fussy cut. This is the fourth bird in my Dear Jane quilt. While they all come from the same fabric, all the birds are different. Here are the other three: D6 - Challenge, K4 - Thea's Turn, and L9 - Walter's Place. I love those birds!

Redraft
I used my templates from the first time. They were made with graph paper pasted to old x-ray film. I changed the draft in two places. Brenda's draft shows an extra piece of ivory on each side of the block. After looking at the photo of Jane's block, I got rid of that piece. The other redraft was in the corners. Click on the photo to see the details.

Stitching Sequence
First, I pieced the corner units, sewing #4 to #5 and then added #6.  Then, I sewed together the remaining nine pieces to each other making a cross shape. Finally, I sewed the corner units into the cross-shaped assembly. This is when I realized I had nicked one of the #2 pieces -- probably when I was trimming seams earlier using the rotary cutter instead of scissors. (What was I thinking?) and had to go back and cut a new piece, and undo and redo a few seams.

Dear Jane Progress = 138 Blocks
To date, I have replaced 10 blocks. As of July 8, 2010, I have 31 blocks to go.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails