Friday, July 9, 2010

Abbey's New Eyes

This is my second time making this Dear Jane block, H4 -Abbey's Eyes. I find it interesting that it refers to Abbey's Eyes (plural) -- not Abbey's Eye (singular). I like to think those spirals are dozens of extra eyes. If you like lots of eyes, check out the last photo on this posting!

Replacing A Block
I've wanted to replace this block for quite a while now because the murky colors just did not work with the clear pastels of this quilt, and it's a batik fabric which means it's densely woven and that makes it harder to hand quilt. Of course, I've not yet decided how this quilt will be quilted -- by machine, by hand, by long arm, my me, by someone else. Lots to think about.

Draft
One nice thing about making a block a second time, the drafting is already done, however, the first time I made this block, I changed the draft. I made the four corner pieces into two. I don't remember why, but I'm guessing it was so that the spirals were not cut up. This time, I made it the same way as Brenda drafted it and Jane made it.

Fabrics
It's interesting that I used spiral fabric both times I made this block. I've been thinking about remaking this block for a long time, but was hung up on the fabric selection because what I used the first time around was very effective at making the center look like an iris. Just last week, I realized this fabric would make a perfect iris! It's been used in D11 - Snow Crystal and J11 - Rick's Volleyball Net. I bought only 4 inches because I was sure I just needed enough for one block. Since then, I've found more uses than I can execute because I'm running out of fabric (I have only one iris left). I'm not even sure where I bought it. The spiral fabric has been used in C4 - Tic, Tac, Toe and I 5 - Maria's Majesty.

Construction
This block is a pleasure to make. It only has 7 pieces. The first time was even easier because I had only 5 pieces. I was wondering how it would look to make a quilt just of these blocks, so I hopped over to MosaicMaker and voila! Now it really is Abbey's Eyes (plural)! I love this. This is going on my list of serious considerations. I would make it in five pieces per block rather than seven. I'm not sure what colors.


Dear Jane Progress = 137 Blocks
As of the evening of Tuesday, July 6, 32 blocks to go; 9 blocks have been replaced. That means I completed two blocks on Tuesday.

2 comments:

Martha said...

It's so interesting to see your re-do blocks and the rationale behind them -- it's such a long process that there is lots of growth taking place in both stitching and design.

This one is fabulous, and you discovered the perfect fabric for the eye. All the fussy cutting you have done adds such a nice touch to the blocks -- well done!

Sherry said...

Three comments:
1) What an awesome quilt that would make. Really, it's just lovely.
2) I like the five-piece version better, but love the "eye" in the new version better.
3) The spirals remind me of Newgrange spirals, which in Irish spirituality represent eternity.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails