Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pinwheel Gone Awry

I could rename this block "Fans and Rosebuds, but that has more to do with the fabrics than the block pieces, which is how quilt blocks are usually named. 
With the completion of A1 - Pinwheel Gone Awry, all four corner blocks are done. The end is looming large and I have a lot of decisions ahead of me:
  • Sashing size and color?
  • Triangles or not? If yes, do I piece them or just put in solid fabrics? Or will have them quilt onto whole cloth?
  • Hand or machine quilting? By me or farm it out?
I'm hoping for inspiration and revelation next month went I attend A Gathering of Janiacs with Brenda Papadakis at the New England Quilt Museum on July 9, 2011.

A01 Redraft    Click to enlarge photo.
Redraft
This block was a definite redraft. As it's name implies, the pinwheel was not entirely made of right triangles. I'd show you a photo of my redraft but my camera has died.  [Oct 30, 2011: I just remembered to photograph the redraft and post it. Here it is. The lower left quadrant is completely drawn; the others are not.]

Notice where two white pieces share a seam; that's how Jane made it. I had planned to make them into one large piece, but when it was time to cut out the fabric, I spaced out and used the wrong template. Now that it's done, I'm glad for this mistake, because that way the seams create a square (on-point) inside the square edge of the block. Nice effect!

F1 - Big Top
Postscript - Sunday, June 5, 2011
I just today noticed that the pinwheel in this block is very close to the one in F1 - Big Top.  Click on the photo if you want to enlarge it. Had I noticed this sooner, I would have used those templates instead of drawing and cutting new ones! Oh well. Even at this level of chaos, I use my computer (photos, Word table with photos, and Excel spreadsheet) a lot to keep track of my block details. It helps me avoid repeating a fabric in adjacent blocks, etc. I wonder how Jane kept track of her blocks. How did she manage to make all her blocks different and not accidentally repeat a block? I wonder if she had a notebook. If she did, wouldn't we all love to see that?

Fabric
The rosebuds are from the theme fabric, which is nearly all gone. The fan fabric was also used in E4 - Buffalo Tree Hopper. The green fabric was used in C5 - Eye of the Cyclone and M4 - Stepping Stones. I chose these fabrics to underscore the pink-red combo that originally attracted me to the theme fabric.

Dear Jane Progress = 165 blocks (98%), 3,441 pieces
As of Saturday, June 6, 2011, another column (10 so far) is complete. This was my last corner block. I have 4 blocks to go and lots of decisions to make!

6 comments:

Sherry said...

Oooh, I'm so impressed, so impressed. I cannot believe you've done all this.

That pinwheel gone awry is really quite a fascinating little piece. The more I looked at it, the more I saw. It's quite amazing.

I can't wait to see your sashing choice. How nice you're doing this just in time for the Janiacs event.

Your camera died? What a bummer!

Una said...

Minka! This is such a lovely block! I am in awe of your work. I am sorry I have not kept in touch after your lovely comment. I hope you had a great stay with the Janiacs:) Take care!

Minka said...

Thank you Sherry and Una!

Jane's Addicted. said...

I love it, too. It was maddening for awhile finding so many that were drafted differently and it seemed like everyone was acting like they didn't see it. But anyway, I encourage your alternate naming, also... "fans and rosebuds" - you spend so much time with these little suckers they deserve a name of their own, yeah? : )

Carol Sanin said...

I love your fabric very bright very pretty. I'm very excited myself i just received my Dear Jane CD and all my tools for making this quilt. I'm a little frighten and excited all at the same time. Can't wait to post my squares. thanks for sharing.

Minka said...

Thanks, Carol. Enjoy your journey!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails