Thursday, November 11, 2010

Crooked Creek

Redraft
My newest Dear Jane block, K1 - Crooked Creek, required a minor redraft -- see the green rectangle drawn into the photo below. In my redraft, two pieces became one. It appears that Jane made a "poverty patch" -- she patched together a few small pieces of the same fabric to make a full patch. This technique is seen more often in older quilt.

My scribbles in pink ink hint that (years ago), I was considering a redraft that would have removed the four border pieces, however when I tried to figure out the math (4.5 inches divided by 5 using a ruler that measures 1/8 inch), I got lazy and stuck with Brenda's frame.

Fabrics
I cut the striped fabric to support the illusion of interlocking L's. I felt the striped fabric would not work well in the small triangluar pieces and selected the bees just for fun. The two fabrics were previously used in the the following blocks:
I especially love the striped fabrics and (contrary to appearances) have restrained myself from using it more! Despite all the repetition of these fabrics, this is the first time they've been used in this quadrant of the quilt.

Construction
After making over 150 of these blocks, I still have wonky seams. Very humbling -- especially since I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I welcome any suggestions. The problem consistently occurs with pieces on the edges of my blocks -- especially when they frame the block. I suppose I could just claim I did it on purpose since this block does have "crooked" in it's name!

Photography
I shot the pictures of the block at noon but the sun is so low in the sky that I could not use my usual method for aligning the photo because shadows (from the deck railing) were in the way. It's one more reason I'm already looking forward to spring. Something tells me it's going to be a long winter -- like the fact that it's only November!

Dear Jane Progress = 156 Blocks
As of Nov 9, 2010, I have 13 blocks (and a few replacements) to go!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Crooked Creek, I just made that one too! So cute with the bees!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails